Fabrications – All in a Row (part one)

Sometimes I order fabric online. Occasionally, it’s not what I had hoped for so it becomes a makeover candidate. This floral print came with a grainy looking surface that I disliked.

I thought it might be nice to trap some snippets on the surface. When considering what kind of fusible to use to accomplish this, I decided to experiment with Stitch Witchery. First, I cut a piece the same size as the floral background fabric. I then painted it with Liquitex Medium Viscosity paint, mixing burnt sienna and green for the dark green area. I used magenta for the corner.

Painted Stitch Witchery

While the paint was drying, I placed painted (Lumiere Pearl Magenta) Cariff .50 stabilizer snippets on the surface, creating a heavier concentration in one corner.

Painted Cariff Snippets

I then placed the painted Stitch Witchy square over the fabric and snippets, covered it with parchment paper, and pressed the layers for about 10 seconds on a wool setting.

Altered Surface

Owing to the web-like quality of the Stitch Witchery, the resulting surface retained some of the background while allowing the snippets to shine through without being totally subdued. However, the original floral was now completely transformed.

Next, I set up my sewing machine for free motion quilting and threaded the needle with Valdani 35 wt. Green Grass cotton thread. After stabilizing the fabric with thin cotton batting and backing, I stitched the green surface with a free form leaf design.

Free Motion Leaf Design

For the magenta area, I used Valdani 35 wt. Hawaiian Orchid cotton thread and stitched a meandering design.

Meandering Quilting

In part two, I’ll share how I created the flowers.

For those of you experimenting with the colorform shapes, I’ve uploaded another file (fjpaisley.dst) to the Fem-Gratis box for you to download.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rene
Time Treasured

SaveSave

Advertisements

6 Comments

  1. Annie said,

    June 13, 2007 at 4:41 pm

    Your work is always inspiring! I can’t believe how you turned a “sow’s ear” into a “silk purse”. It’s a fabulous result.

  2. fembellish said,

    June 13, 2007 at 5:31 pm

    Thank you, Annie. I’m go glad you’re finding inspiration here.

  3. June 14, 2007 at 1:50 am

    Nice, very nice. I’ll stay tuned for the flowers.

  4. Dianne said,

    June 14, 2007 at 4:42 am

    What a great way to transform fabric!! I’m so looking forward to chapter 2 with the flowers!!

  5. Leslie said,

    June 14, 2007 at 2:53 pm

    This is the first time to your site and I have to say, your work is inspiring! I can’t wait to see the next step! I absolutlely love your idea for carrying around your yarn as well!

  6. Jacqueline said,

    June 16, 2007 at 2:34 pm

    You always explain things so well! I really love it!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: